Friday, May 1, 2015

The experiences.



Yes, I'm posting twice in one day because April was a very eventful month.


Meanwhile I was dealing with class issues I was also experiencing social and medical experiences.

For starters, there was a fire in the building I live in. Firefighters and the police came to our rescue. It was definitely interesting to see how Germany handles fires. Although it wasn't a big fire, and nobody was injured I noticed many things. For example, the fire alarm in my room did not go off. I heard a weird sound I've never heard before coming from downstairs but it never occurred to me it was a fire alarm. The only reason I was able to hear that weird sound was because my window was open. Though at first I didn't think much of that sound, I looked outside and people were running out of my building. I also started smelling smoke, therefore, I decided to grab my technology devices and run outside. Sure enough, running down the stairs there was smoke filling the air because the kitchen in the first floor was the reason of the fire. I was confused, alarmed and I hoped everyone was fine. But how are people supposed to know there's a fire if the alarms in our rooms don't make a sound?

The firefighters and police arrived soon after I was already outside. They handled everything well. But students were still getting out of the building while they were putting off the fire. I didn't feel safe knowing some students didn't even know what was happening in their building. There could have been someone injured. After that eventful day, I thought to myself how unorganized things are. There was never a fire drill or instructions on how to react if there ever is a fire. Also there are some floors in my building without a fire-hydrant. But definitely, what scares me the most is how the alarms in the rooms do not go off. I can only hope there never is a fire at night and if there is, someone should wake me up.


In addition to that, I'm happy that I purchased the German full cover insurance. Because if anything were to happen, the insurance will cover the expenses. Accidents can happen in a blink of an eye. Also, this month, I experienced a pain in my mouth I've never had before. For that reason, I went to visit a dentist. To my surprise, I should translate things in German better because I chose the wrong type of dentist. A nice lady told me I was at the wrong place. She didn't speak much English but she called her personal dentist for me and she even took me to the location. The people I've met here have all been really nice/polite even when I make mistakes like this.


So yes, I've experienced how dentists work here. The language barrier is a problem. I feel like sometimes I'm not being understood to what I'm trying to say. Also, I can't fully have a conversation with people because their English is as good as my German. Sign language and body language helps me communicate with others. The dentist told me I needed to take out my wisdom teeth and that I should visit a surgeon. Sure enough, the surgeon told me my wisdom teeth need to be taken out. I really wish my mom was here to take care of me but since that is not possible, I'm doing what I've been doing ever since March 1st, 2015. I'm doing things on my own, taking care of myself, and handling situations like an adult. Though it has been hard, I feel like I'm doing a good job. I take care of my needs. Two of my wisdom teeth are out, and I need to take out the other two. But I haven't decided when I will do that, due to classes. So far my study abroad experience has taught me more life lessons than anything else. I've learned that I could be more independent than what I was before. I'm learning how to be an adult and how to handle life situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment