Saturday, August 8, 2015

Academics and more



I've been meaning to post and talk about my classes here at the University of Heidelberg. Taking 3 French classes and a German course has been a great experience. French is a language I enjoy learning and speaking. My professors are wonderful women who are very smart and keep their classes interesting. I get a little bit of everything. One of my French classes teaches grammar and vocabulary. Though I've been learning French since I was a sophomore in high school, I often notice that if it wasn't for that class, I would have forgotten some grammar rules. This class has helped me refresh my memory. My 2nd French class teaches me more vocabulary and more about the French culture. In this class we often have group discussions and time to practice our speaking skills. I enjoy this class a lot more because I've become friends with a really nice and fun German girl. We basically have a good time learning and I feel totally comfortable with her. My 3rd French class is the toughest. In this class I learn about actual and now a days issues in France. It is my hardest class because the rest of the students have been learning French since they were in elementary school. Their speaking and vocabulary is well above mine. However, I enjoy listening to them. Here, I practice my listening and understanding skills to the highest level. At the beginning of the semester, it was hard to keep up. Up until the end, it got a little easier; however this class was always a challenge. But I can say I learned so much by struggling and listening to others speak French.


Now, learning German is tough. I can honestly say I don't understand many things. But I do try my hardest to learn. It is easier for me to understand written German than speaking. Everything about the language is tough but I do feel proud of the couple phrases I can say and how I can pick out certain words I hear while I'm in public places. I wish I've taken German classes before. It would have made my stay in Heidelberg much easier.

I enjoyed my classes and professors and I wish it was possible for me to build a relationship with them. However, I got the feeling they didn't want that. They assisted me by answering my academic questions, but they did not want to get to know me more than just a student in their class. I was disappointed because in the U.S I'm used to professors caring about academics and my life out of school. I wanted the same in Germany, but this just how the culture is. I understood it and I had to learn how to integrate.

All together, this experience, these classes and these great teachers were the ones who taught me about the education system in Heidelberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment