Saturday, August 8, 2015

Plans don't always go as planned.



Before coming abroad, I had many academic goals and personal expectations. I knew it would be hard to accomplish everything and that obstacles would come across. However, I underestimated the level of difficulty. My academic goal consisted of a big research project in France. I'm interested in learning more about immigration and how it affects the country whether it is good or bad. I wanted to get insight into the lives of immigrants. I had originally planned on interviewing people and learn from their struggles. I was able to get feedback from a few people. But mostly, I was disappointed by how many people rejected the idea of my interview. I knew immigration is a topic that stresses the government all over the world. You would think people might want to talk about it and discuss their beliefs. Truth is, many don't want to. I made my way to Strasbourg and Paris where I wanted to focus my research. I did receive feedback from both cities, however, I wish I had received more. Overall, I learned more through observing and by how people reacted towards my attempt to talk about immigration. In addition, I practiced my French speaking skills with native French speakers which was the best part. Because I was able to ask questions and have a conversation. My plans didn't go as planned, but I did achieve part of my academic goal.


On the other hand, my personal goals were exceded. I accomplished and learned so much about myself. I'm stronger than what I look. I'm more efficient and smarter as well. I was able to take care of myself for five months in a different country. I pulled through every obstacle. I had optimism always present in me. Even when things got hard. I had different struggles come up, like for example, when I thought I couldn't figure out a class schedule because of my level of proficiency in French, when my wallet got stolen in Barcelona, when I had to get my wisdom teeth out and had to recover without the help of my family, when I had to plan and travel on my own for 5 days to Paris in order to accomplish my academic goal. I thought I knew myself well, but truth is that by being abroad I learned more aspects of me. My mistakes have taught me lessons I wouldn't have learned if I didn't have this experience. In addition, I had fun making these mistakes and learning from them. I am now able to say I've lived, traveled and experience Europe as much as I could possibly have.

8 countries, 19 cities.

Italy
Pisa 
Milán
  Venice  
  Rome 

Germany  
Berlin  
Mannheim  
Frankfurt
Moselle
Heidelberg 

Spain 
Barcelona  
Palma Mallorca 

France  
Parisx5 
Strasbourgx2  
Metz 

Switzerland  
Zurich 
Lucerne

United Kingdom 

Englad
London 

Ireland 
Dublin 

Scotland
Edinburgh 

No comments:

Post a Comment